April 18, 2018
ARLINGTON, Texas - The UT Arlington men's tennis team racked up Sun Belt Conference postseason awards on Wednesday as Guanarteme Nuez was named the league's Player of the Year and Enrique Pardo was named the Newcomer of the Year.
Nuez became UTA's eight player to earn a conference's player of the year honor and the first to do so since the squad joined the Sun Belt in the 2013-14 season, all seven previous awards came in the Southland Conference, last accomplished by Mindaugas Celedinas in 2012. Nuez closed the regular season with a 24-6 overall mark, including an impressive 18-3 record in dual match play. The junior is ranked No. 98 in the latest Oracle/ITA Collegiate Tennis Division I singles rankings.
"What Nuez has accomplished this season has been a lot of fun to watch," UTA coach Diego Benitez said. "He has played at a very high level, including wins over several nationally ranked players and has been rock solid at our top spot in singles play. He is a great player, and I am sure that the best is still yet to come for him."
Pardo, a junior transfer from Tyler Junior College, is the sixth player to earn a league's Newcomer of the Year award, also the first to do so in the Sun Belt. Soren Goritzka was the last to claim the nod in 2012 in the SLC. Pardo is 14-5 in dual match play, playing at the No. 2 spot.
"Enrique has been a solid addition to our squad and is a big reason why we have had success in singles," Benitez said. "He brings so much to the table for our team and gives us a great punch at the top of the lineup that is tough for any team to play against. We knew he'd be a winner for us, and are excited to have him earn this honor."
Along with the Player of the Year award, Nuez was named to the league's first team All-Conference in singles. He and teammate Mauricio Del Rio were named to the first team in doubles, while Del Rio joined Pardo as second-team selections in singles.
Nuez and Del Rio earned a 12-3 record in No. 1 singles, closing with an 8-2 record in the last 10 minutes, while Del Rio was 15-3 in singles play, playing primarily at the No. 3 spot.
2017-18 SUN BELT MEN'S TENNIS POSTSEASON AWARDS
All-Sun Belt First Team
- Scott Webster, Appalachian State (Sr., Perth, Australia)
- Stefano Di Aloy, Georgia Southern (So., Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Andrei Andrukhou, Georgia State (Sr., Minsk, Belarus)
- Loic Cloes, South Alabama (So., Oreye, Belgium)
- Clement Marzol, South Alabama (So., Toulouse, France)
- Guanarteme Nuez, UTA (Jr., Las Palmas, Spain)
- Scott Webster (Sr., Perth, Australia) and Milo Bargeron (So., Chislehurst, England), Appalachian State
- Loic Cloes (So., Oreye, Belgium) and Clement Marzol (So., Toulouse, France), South Alabama
- Mauricio Del Rio (Jr., Irapuato, Mexico) and Guanarteme Nuez (Jr., Las Palmas, Spain), UTA
All-Sun Belt Second Team
- Eddie Landin, Georgia Southern (Sr., Los Cabos, Mexico)
- Sebastian Acuna, Georgia State (Sr., Miami, Fla.)
- Giles Hussey, Georgia State (Jr., Swindon, England)
- Elio Lago, Louisiana (So., Fortaleza, Brazil)
- Mauricio Del Rio, UTA (Jr., Irapuato, Mexico)
- Enrique Pardo, UTA (Jr., Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain)
- Eddie Landin (Sr., Los Cabos, Mexico) and Diego Finkelstein (So., Sao Paulo, Brazil), Georgia Southern
- Sebastian Acuna (Sr., Miami, Fla.) and Andrei Duarte (Fr., Atlanta, Ga.), Georgia State
- Pierce Gilheany (Fr., Melbourne, Australia) and Pearse Dolan (So., Sydney, Australia), Louisiana
Player of the Year
Guanarteme Nuez, UTA (Jr., Las Palmas, Spain)
Player to Watch
Loic Cloes, South Alabama (So., Oreye, Belgium)
Newcomer of the Year
Enrique Pardo, UTA (Jr., Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain)
Freshman of the Year
Pelayo Antuña, Troy (Fr., Gijon, Spain)
Co-Coaches of the Year
Sander Koning, Georgia Southern
Jonathan Wolff, Georgia State